Bravery and creativity go hand in hand. The most powerful design work and the most reputable designers are relentlessly brave. To create effective work with genuine stand-out impact, you have to be brave enough to do something other people aren’t. Being brave does not mean being fearless though. Fear is a natural and inevitable part of life – the good news is bravery is a choice and a skill that can be learnt.
Practicing bravery will help you forge better working relationships, create memorable, impactful work, and see that work through to completion – no matter what obstacles get thrown in your way.
The whole day will be interactive, with a mixture of group and solo projects and short exercises punctuated by Dave’s mini-lectures. These mini-lectures will draw on Dave’s industry experiences (good and bad), insights gathered from the bravest creative minds across the globe, and case studies of the bravest design work around.
You’ll leave Dave’s hands-on session with a series of practical techniques that you can put to use in your own work and in the way you work with your colleagues and clients.
By the end of this creative design workshop you'll:
- Have the confidence to step out of your comfort zone and challenge your limitations – tackling fear, perfectionism, procrastination and the gaps in your skills.
- Be inspired to challenge convention and relish the potential in every brief – big or small.
- Learn to be courageously creative – to be more open with your ideas, to stop self-editing, and to give new ideas a chance
- Learn to show vulnerability and put genuine emotion into your ideas and your presentations, leading to more memorable and impactful work.
- Have the tools to talk intelligently about the risks and rewards associated with outstanding creative work.
- Learn to lose your ego, to take feedback, to listen, to empathise, and to work more collaboratively to create remarkable work and improve your studio’s culture.
- Gain the confidence and resilience needed to fight for great work and overcome seemingly immovable obstacles.
This creative design course is aimed at designers and creatives in the first seven years of their career. It’s particularly useful for anyone starting to find their comfort zone in the industry and looking to take a step out of it. If you want to create brave, powerful design that will be remembered, this is for you.
Dave King is Design Director at StudioLR. Working with clients like Prudential, SSE, Balfour Beatty, John Lewis, and the National Trust, his ethos is to design for real people and to try to make a difference to their lives… thinking about who’s going to experience the work rather than who’s creating it or who’s paying for it. Dave lectures at Napier University, judged at the 2016 D&AD Awards, and has given talks at New Designers and D&AD. He was awarded the Marketing Society Scotland’s Rising Creative Star Award 2016. Crucially, his D&AD-winning work for Seamab School very nearly never made it… if it wasn’t for a bit of bravery and positive thinking.
09:30 – 17:00
64 Cheshire Street
Looking for more Information?
If you're interested in learning more about Bravery in Creative Design and would like to discuss it with a D&AD Training professional, please leave your details and someone will be in touch very shortly via email or call us on +44 (0) 20 7840 1154.