Borrowing from psychology, documentary, broadcasting and fundamental plot principles, this hands-on 1-day Masterclass will help you uncover hidden stories that can be extracted from every brief and brand, and understand the value this can add.
Over the course of a day, you’ll be guided through factual storytelling, learning how to translate broadcast and feature documentary techniques to the world of branding and advertising. Plus, you’ll understand the difference between content and story, the fundamental principles of storytelling and why we are hardwired to enjoy stories.
Sophie approaches the subject of storytelling from a background as an award-winning documentary filmmaker, and will take you through how to apply the principles of storytelling to brands through the use of Jungian archetypes. As well as showing examples of her work, successes and disappointments, Sophie will impart wisdom on what they’ve learnt along the way. In particular, how to carry skills from long form storytelling over into short form, and demonstrate how the same can be done the other way around.
This will be a hands-on session, peppered with exercises - including writing the title of a film pitch - and offering a unique opportunity to hear and learn from experts in the field.
Who it's for:
- Anyone in branding and marketing who needs to explore storytelling
- Anyone with ambitions to move into long form storytelling
- Creatives who want to learn how to sell an idea
- Anyone interested in the key ingredients of storytelling and how to adapt them to their work
By the end of this workshop you will:
- Learn the fundamental principles of storytelling and the seven basic plots to any story
- Understand why as humans we are hardwired to look for stories and how storytelling is linked to action
- Know the difference between ‘content’ and ‘story’, and show how stories can be found pretty much everywhere, if you look at your brief in the right way