So, you’ve been asked to lead an in-house creative design team? From honing your design craft over years of experience to managing a team of designers to do great work, how now do you increase the influence of your work and establish design as a core function within your business? Well – this workshop will help you define what type of design team you’d like to lead and introduce you to the strategic knowledge and skills needed to advocate for design’s role within your organisation.
This workshop is a highly interactive blend of theory, case studies, peer learning and inspiration. You will leave the day with a new found appreciation for the roles that designers can play within large organisations, a diagnosis of your team’s current situation and a personal plan for your own capability development. You’ll learn about the intersection of business and design and the established fields of design leadership and design management. Through a series of interactive and reflective activities you will be introduced to practical frameworks and tools to diagnose the current state of design within your own organisation and plan for its future role, including the skills and experiences you need to develop for your future leadership role.
At every workshop, you’ll hear from an establish in-house design leader.
For further details, check our website.
By the end of this workshop you will have:
- Learned about the range of organisations that designers are present in today, and the types of roles designers are taking on
- Learned about different models of design team and their implications for the culture of creativity created and skills needed by designers
- Heard from well known design leaders about what they have learned during a career forged establishing in-house design teams
- Reflected upon the current and potential role of design within your own organisation
- Been introduced to the fields of design management and leadership through inspiring case studies
- Been introduced to a design leadership andmanagement capabilities framework and identified areas for your own future personal development
- Anyone who has recently joined or is considering joining an in-house design team
- Anyone who is managing a team of inhouse designers
- Anyone who would like to know more about advocating the role and value that design can bring to large organisations
Iain is a design and innovation management specialist working at the intersection of consulting, education and research. Previously Director at London-based product strategy consultancy Plan, in 2016 he founded Graft, a specialist design and innovation management consultancy that helps organisations build design capability. Over more than a decade, Iain has consulted to global clients including Bacardi, British Gas, Lenovo, Mars, Samsung, Unilever, Wrigley’s and Yamaha; leading innovation projects in over 15 countries around the world, and the creation of long-term development programmes to enhance the design and innovation capabilities of internal teams.
He is also Programme Director at the Glasgow School of Art’s Institute of Design Innovation, and external examiner for the MA Industrial Design at Central Saint Martins, London. He also serves on the boards of the Design Management Institute, USA; and Creative Scotland, the national body that supports the arts, screen and creative industries.
64 Chesire Street
09:30 – 17:30
"Good mix of theory & practice. Made to feel at ease & created an open forum to discuss opinions, no wrong/right"Anonymous
"I really enjoyed it, it opened my eyes & thinking for the role design holds in the company I’m at."Anonymous
"Excellent – very practical, accessible"James De Leiburne
"Innovative, thought provoking and inspiring"Iona Hickman
"Inspiring, devoted to design management."Matoula Sarantinou
Looking for More Information?
If you're interested in learning more about Developing an In-house Creative Design Team and would like to discuss it with a D&AD Training professional, please leave your details and someone will be in touch very shortly via email or call us on +44 (0) 20 7840 1154.