If you want to create successful visual communication - to catch a mouse - you’ll need to make a noise like a cheese! But don’t BE a cheese, because that’ll never work. The mouse is used to that, he’s got smart and wants something new…
Today, creativity needs to work harder than ever to catch our audience’s attention and this masterclass will provide you with tips and techniques to do this.
During this masterclass, you’ll learn how to tune the frequency of your ideas through their execution. You’ll learn to understand the delicate, precise act of sending your message on exactly the right wavelength, without interference.
You’ll understand that every visual and verbal choice you make in strategy, writing, illustration, photography, graphic design, typography, print, media, filmmaker, coding or digital platform contributes to how the audience catches your throw.
You’ll get to look at examples of visual differentiation in evolution and history, and study Art Direction in Design, Advertising, Film and Contemporary Art. Above all else, you’ll learn to listen to your ideas, not current trends, in order to style your work originally.
By the end of this masterclass you will:
- Learn that the same co-evolution in Nature exists in Creativity
- Understand how small details make imagery memorable
- Know that Luck, Life and Laziness inspire originality
- Accept that imperfection can be perfect
- Be able to create memorable work for an audience caught in a triangulation of media crossfire
- Know how to make 360º projects with multiple front doors
- Understand how brands are now inverted pyramids of consistency with experiences at the top, and the logo at the bottom
- Learn why the Polymath is on the rise (again)
- Be able to collaborate to elaborate; be a Conductor not just a Soloist and be able to catch that mouse, each and every time.
- Art Directors
- Photographers and Illustrators
- Creative Directors
- Anyone with an interest in making or commissioning effective, original communication design or advertising.
Mark Bonner MA(RCA)
Co-Creative Director GBH London and D&AD President 2015
Mark graduated from the Royal College of Art in 1993 and worked at The Partners, Carter Wong & Partners and SAS before co-founding multi-disciplinary graphics group GBH In 1999. Now 20 strong, GBH works internationally solving communications problems across the disciplines for clients such as Alajmo, America’s Cup, BMW, Eurostar, Flos, Louis Vuitton, Mikli Eyewear, North Sails, Puma, Royal Mail, Starck Network, SBE Entertainment, Virgin Galactic and Yotel.
GBH have consistently ranked within the UK’s top ten most creative design groups by awards won (DW Hot 100 Survey) since its foundation in 1999, reaching No. 2 in 2007 and again in 2011.
Mark began his relationship with D&AD via a Student Yellow Pencil in 1991 and has now won 43 D&AD Awards including four Yellow and nine D&AD Graphite Pencils as well as six Design Week Award wins including Best of Show in 2003 and a Silver Award at the New York Art Directors Club amongst many others.
Mark is visiting lecturer at Kingston, LCC, UAG, UAB and New Bucks Universities, and is a regular judge in industry awards schemes including eight times at D&AD. A four-year stint on D&AD’s Board of Trustees culminated in Mark serving as the 52nd D&AD President in 2015.
Looking for More Information?
If you're interested in learning more about any of our Masterclasses, or have any related queries, please leave your details below and someone will be in touch shortly.