If you’re looking to sharpen your critical instincts, get a radical overhaul of your craft skills and gain valuable insights from an acknowledged star of the profession then don’t miss this workshop. Drawing on her extensive portfolio and experience, Alexandra Taylor will reveal her golden rules of art direction. This highly engaging and interactive masterclass will give you the space to think, talk, debate and innovate. By the end of the masterclass, you’ll have learned her golden rules of art direction and will be able to take away a toolbox of practical insights and techniques that you’ll be able to implement immediately.
Alexandra’s session is another D&AD masterclass where you learn stuff by doing stuff so expect individual and group exercises with plenty of constructive feedback. Alexandra will encourage your ability to enhance advertising ideas through innovative art direction. You will gain a deep understanding of art direction and how important creating strong brand ‘looks’ are for both print and digital media. Then there’s what Alexandra calls ‘practice to be perfect’, mastering visual balance and composition, adopting the right tone and creating an appropriate execution.
She will leave you with a deeper understanding of disciplines related to advertising and art direction such as illustration, graphic design, photography and typography. More than anything, Alexandra will give you feedback on work she sets during the course of the session and advice on how it might be improved.
By the end of this masterclass you will:
- Improve your ability to enhance advertising ideas through innovative art direction
- Get a deeper understanding of related disciplines such as digital, illustration, graphic design, photography and typography
- Practise to perfect: understand the critical importance of visual balance, composition, tone and appropriate execution
- Gain a renewed enthusiasm for the craft of art direction and the motivation and confidence to experiment
- Get feedback, insights and advice from one of the most awarded art directors in the industry
- Art directors and designers with some experience who wish to improve their skills
- Would-be art directors and designers, for example new creatives or those who’ve done some design work, but wish to more fully exploit their talent
- Anyone with some design skill who wishes to learn more about the arcane art of art direction
Alexandra Taylor, Founder of Mrs. McGuinty Ltd. and Former Joint Creative Director at Saatchi & Saatchi. Widely acknowledged as one of the UK’s outstanding art directors, Alexandra Taylor has appeared in the D&AD Annual over 200 times, as well as being a regular name at Cannes Lion, British Television Arrows and Creative Circle.
“Art direction isn’t a profession. It’s an incurable disease.”Alexandra Taylor
“It’s given me a different outlook on art direction as a whole.”Francine Galea
Central Saint Martins.
“It has made me think about my career and how I can inject some energy back in.”Chloe Grindle
Looking for More Information?
If you're interested in learning more about any of our Masterclasses, or have any related queries, please leave your details below and someone will be in touch shortly.